I can hardly believe that September is nearly here! For most folks, school has started back up this week and even though we still have nearly another month of summer left, it always feels like summer's over the first day back at school. And while some worry about that first day outfit, most of us out there worry about back-to-school supplies and school lunches.
It's no surprise that the school provided lunches aren't typically up to par with the ideal food we want our children eating, so that means its up to us to send our young ones off to school with healthy lunches and snacks. Especially those packed with micro nutrients to help support their growing bodies and expanding minds. The earlier we can start instilling good eating habits in our children, the better! Sure, you may have some picky eaters, but don't be afraid to urge your kids to try more developed flavor palates.
Here are some great, healthy school lunch and snack idea's for your little ones:
- 4 large organic Eggs
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) Egg Whites
- 1/2 cup fat free Milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan or your favorite choice
- 1 Leek, cleaned and chopped into small pieces
- 2 Garlic Cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Baby Peas (I used frozen, thawed)
- pinch of fine Sea Salt
- pinch of Black Pepper
Optional Ingredient Add-ons: (we highly recommend Micro Greens!)
- Sunflower Seed Sprouts
- Micro Greens
- Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- Pre-heat broiler with the oven rack in the middle. Whisk together eggs, milk and 1 ounce of the cheese in a bowl. In a 12 inch oven safe fry pan sauté leeks and garlic with olive oil over medium high heat until softened and slightly browned. Add peas, some salt and pepper to taste. Stir and heat for another minute or so. Add egg mixture to the pan. Tilt the pan and make sure the egg distributes evenly around the pan. Also nudge the pea mixture around if needed to make sure it covers the bottom of the pan.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until the frittata starts to pull away from the edges of the pan. Top with cheese and broil for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted & slightly browned. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
(makes about 15 skewers)
2 pounds organic Chicken Breast, trim excess fat and cut into 1/4 inch pieces lengthwise
2 large Eggs, whisked
2 1/2 cups (45 grams) Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Gluten Free Cereal
a few pinches of cracked Black Pepper, Garlic Salt and Smoked Paprika
1 tablespoon dried Oregano
Grapeseed or Olive Oil
15 wooden skewers, soak in water 30 minutes prior to using (you need to do this so the skewers do not burn)
In a food processor grind seasonings and rice cereal until you have a fine crumb (leave out the oregano.) Put mixture in a bowl, stir in the oregano last. Dip chicken in eggs, let excess drip off. Coat with the rice crumbs. Carefully thread each piece of chicken onto a soaked skewer. Be sure that the skewer goes through the center of the chicken. Brush some oil in a grill pan. Heat pan over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and grill the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Serve over a bed of MicroGreens with dipping sauce!
To prepare your Teeny Tiny Potatoes roast them for about 40 minutes. Coat with some oil, add handfuls of your favorite dried herbs and seasonings.
We also love a side of micro greens or baby lettuce. Keep it simple!
For more great kids lunch idea's, visit Family Fresh Cooking! Endless healthy recipes for you family!